Monday 24 November 2014

Born Pretty Store - 2mm Silver Spikes Review

*2 products in this post were provided in exchange for a 100% honest review.
Hiya lovelies!  I recently received 3 more items from Born Pretty Store to review, and today I'm showing you the 2mm x 2.5mm silver spikes.  It's no secret that I love using my larger spikes now and then, but they're completely impractical, so I was looking forward to trying out these smaller ones..........

So, I decided to use these in a monochrome negative space mani.  It's been a lot of fun playing around with negative space now my nails are gone, it's definitely been a silver lining. :D
For the index and pinky fingers, I used some skinny striping tape to make horizontal stripes of different widths, layering multiple pieces of tape to create the thicker ones.  I used the Black Gloss side of Laqa&Co's Tuxedo manicure duo, since it's a one coat black, but if you have noticed the horrific state of my cuticles, you'll have an idea of how much I came to regret that decision.

Initially, my index finger had a different layout, but I didn't really like it, so I carefully wrapped a little bit of cotton around an orange wood stick, dipped it in acetone, and removed a black stripe from the middle.  Then I carefully used a striping brush to freehand an extra black stripe near the top.
  On the middle finger and thumb, I stamped a part of BPS plate QA88, one of the other 2 items I picked for review.  I then used a small brush to paint a black border around the nail with Black Gloss.  I really wished I'd have used acrylic paint for this though, not only would it have been a nicer consistency to work with, it wouldn't have completely wrecked my cuticle either!

Finally, on the ring finger, I used a hole reinforcement sticker to create a negative space half moon, applied a top coat, and let it dry.  Then I used some brush on nail glue, and an orange wood stick with a ball of blu-tack on the end to pick the spikes up, and line the edge of the half moon with them.  It still looked a little unfinished to me, so I placed 3 more spikes going down the centre of the nail.
As you can see, they're nowhere near as tall as the larger spikes, although they're definitely a bit sharper.  I don't think you could cut yourself on them though, and I'm extremely clumsy by nature, they're just not quite as smooth as the bigger ones, which is to be expected.  They look more dangerous than they actually are haha :D

So, apart from the horrific staining issues, I loved this mani with a passion.  Sure, the tape lines aren't the cleanest, my border's a bit wobbly, and my cuticles look like I've switched the lemony flutter out in favour of coal dust, but I don't even care, I still love it.

So, that's all from me today, but I'll be back tomorrow with a few more bits to show you from MoYou Nails.

In the meantime I would love it if you left me a comment to let me know what you think of this mani.  What about the staining, have you ever had a polish stain your cuticles this badly?

* I did manage to remove most of the staining after taking the mani off, but it took a lot of scrubbing with acetone, and 2 uses of Sally Hansen Instant Cuticle Remover to shift it properly.  Still, at least it's gone now :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you guys think! There's no captchas, and you don't need an account to comment!
All comments are moderated by me, so I will always try to respond as soon as possible : )