Friday 24 October 2014

52 Week Pick 'n' Mix Challenge - 70's

Hiya lovelies!  Today I have my mani for this weeks 52 Week Pick 'n' Mix Challenge.  The prompts for this week are 70's, and Grey + Colour.  I decided to just pick the 70's part, so I could do a red and black punk mani.  I know that some people associate punk more with the 80's than the 70's, but I like to think my mani is a celebration of the birth of punk, and therefore still very much in the 70's :p

So, I started with just 1 coat of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri - Rapid Red as my base, and then stamped some black tartan on all nails with MoYou Punk 01, and the matte side of Laqa&Co - Tuxedo.  (this is a matte/glossy black duo polish.  The matte side didn't have a very smooth finish when I tried it out on the nail, but luckily it's nice and opaque, so works well as a stamping polish)
I used a few bits of striping tape under the red and stamping on my index finger, to create a few negative space lines, and then painted some slap dash staples with Barry M Silver Foil, so it looked like 3 bits of fabric roughly stapled back together.
For the middle finger I stamped the fist from MoYou Punk 04 over the tartan with Barry M Silver Foil, and then used some black acrylic paint to outline the nail.  I didn't plan to outline it initially, but it looked a bit bare around the edges so I did.  I'm really glad I did though, that nail turned out to be one of my favourites!
On the pinky finger, I used acrylic paint to fill in sections at the sides, leaving a narrow triangle of tartan exposed.  Then I outlined the sections with BM Silver Foil, and added a clear, star shaped rhinestone where the 2 lines met.  I had no idea where I was going with this nail, and it's really off-centre too, but I think it looks okay nonetheless.
On the thumb, I added some black sections down the sides, and then stamped the anarchy A from MoYou Punk 01 with BM Silver Foil.
And what kind of punk mani would this be if it didn't contain some dangerous looking metal spikes!?  For the ring finger, I painted a wide stripe of black acrylic paint down the middle of the tartan, and then used some nail glue to attach 3 spikes on the nail, almost like a nail-hican (nail-mohican for anyone who doesn't speak strange)
Man I love wearing these spikes, even though I had to glue 2 of them back on when I woke up the next morning.  Totally worth it, and I managed to save all 3 of these when I removed the mani too, so I can use them again :D
I don't say this often, or at all really, but I think this is one of those mani's where everything just came together for me.  The Sally Hansen red had an excellent formula, with great opacity.  I wasn't sure if my black would stamp, but it did. My placement, for the first time in ever, was actually pretty spot on.  I didn't have to remove either of my stamps and try again.  Considering I usually run away from images that require placement, this fact makes me very, very happy!  I'm also excited to be using negative space for the first time too!  All in all, a lot of firsts, and a mani that I'm really pleased with.  So pleased in fact, that I'm not even going to pick at what I could have done better.  I'm just gonna say I think this mani is awesome!  Woohoo!

So, that's all from me today lovelies.  I'll be back over the weekend with my A-Z round up post, although it might not be until Sunday.  It's my grandad's 80th in a few days, and it was my nan's last week, so we're all going out tomorrow.  If I'm back early enough, I'll still try and get something posted, but if not, I will see you all on Sunday.
In the meantime, please do check out the thumbnails below.  There are some truly talented ladies in this challenge, and I have no doubt that there will be some really awesome mani's there for you to check out......




1 comment:

  1. This manicure looks so great!
    I love the different colors that you used to create this design :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you guys think! There's no captchas, and you don't need an account to comment!
All comments are moderated by me, so I will always try to respond as soon as possible : )