Friday, 8 November 2013

#33DC - Day 21 - Europe (Black Sand Beach, Vík í Mýrdal, Iceland)

 Hiya guys!  I'm back for Day 21 of the #33DC and the prompt for today is Europe.  I was unsure on what I wanted to do for this prompt for ages, but once I got this idea in my head I was determined to see it through.


Photo credit: Alexandre Deschaume
 This is a photo of the stunning black sand beach Vík í Mýrdal, Iceland in a thick fog.  I came across this photo here on photo.net, and was just blown away by it.  I was pretty nervous about trying to recreate this, but I had a few back-up ideas in case it was a miserable fail so no pressure.

I had an idea I could use a couple of fan brushes to get the base in a sort of jagged gradient, and I actually took pictures of the base too.  I was just making this up as I went along, so I took pictures before adding the next step, as I had no idea whether I would just ruin in completely by adding too much : )
I actually liked it like this, and may have to try this again with other colours at some point.  I did take a striper brush and add a few more dramatic lines to emphasise the effect.
Then I decided I could build some 3D pebbles out of my black textured polish with a dotting tool.  I think I did about 3 or 4 layers in the end.  Took quite a while to dry though : /
That's how it looked afterwards.  Then I got my white polish, and with the skinniest brush I could find, I outlined around the base of pebbles.  This was probably the hardest bit of the whole mani, I did have to go back in with 1 more layer of black on the pebbles, but finally I had this:

Unfortunately, I don't own a really pale blue cream so I just had to go monochrome instead, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out anyway.  A bit weird, yes, but very interesting, especially in real life.  They really did look like little pebbles!
   

 What do you guys think of this, just a bit weird, or pure genius?: p   Want to go have another look at that photo? I know I do, I find it mesmerising!  Don't forget to check out the other amazing ladies down at the bottom.


12 comments:

  1. Absolutely bloody gorgeous! My favourite of today's manis by a mile :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks hun, that's really sweet of you to say : D x

      Delete
  2. Pure genious:) Love it! And I'd love to go there one day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! : D I'm not really a fan of cold weather but I'd still like to see it, it's just beautiful x

      Delete
  3. Love Iceland! Love this idea! Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your concept! The nail art is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry I'm late to the aprty here but really liking this, so original and creative and experimenting - the kinda nail art I like :D x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks hun, this challenge has really pushed me to try new things, and it's been so much fun : D xx

      Delete

I would love to hear what you guys think! There's no captchas, and you don't need an account to comment!
All comments are moderated by me, so I will always try to respond as soon as possible : )